The building of the Dortmund Ems Canal necessitated the building of 175 bridges and 273 locks, culverts and overpasses.
The crossing of the River Ems presented a significant challenge to the water engineers of the time.
The meandering of the River Ems at the crossing point of the Dortmund Ems Canal necessitated the re-routing of the River Ems. Two of the curves were cut through to enable the canal to cross the river at right angles. The picture above shows the original route and new route,
Due to the nature of the surrounding soil it was built with deep concrete foundations. The main building material of the bridge itself was Ibbenbürener sandstone. The arches were made of hard brick and the structure was waterproofed with cement and lead plates.
The Ems crossing was finished in 1897 and was 48m long and 18.6m wide.
The aqueduct as it appears today.
The Germans realised the importance of the canal and the vulnerability of a single crossing point so, in 1935, a second crossing point was completed.
This was constructed using reinforced concrete and was fitted with safety gates on either side.
The old aqueduct can be seen through the span of the second 1935 construction.